Jeff Lynch

President, CEO

 



On July 1, 1919 Heber Springs State Bank opened for business as Arkansas National Bank with initial capital of $25,000.  The bank has grown and prospered over the years taking advantage of a solid foundation laid by our founders, emphasizing sound banking principles and employing superior management and talented employees.  Following this philosophy, the bank weathered the "Great Depression" and Stock Market crash of the 1920’s, and because of the continuing deep depression of the 1920’s, on March 9, 1933 the U.S. Congress ordered that all banks be closed except those in exceptionally sound financial condition.  The Arkansas National Bank (Heber Springs State Bank) was one of very few banks in the United States that was allowed to remain open.  The proud tradition of sound banking principle has carried forward for many years.  In 1978 the bank elected to exchange its National Bank charter for a State Bank charter and adopted the name Heber Springs State Bank.  In 1984 State Holding Company acquired majority interest in the bank.  By 2011 the bank grew to over $209 million in assets with capital in excess of $24 million.  Private bank rating companies have given the bank its highest award of Five Stars which ranks the bank as "One of the Nation’s Strongest Banks."  These accomplishments were achieved through management leadership, the strategic expansion of bank locations over a three county area and embracing ever-changing technological advances.

In 1966, Mr. Harry Hastings, Jr. chartered the First State Bank of Sherwood, Arkansas.  On January 6, 1967 the bank opened for business.  Later the bank began establishing additional branch locations in Sherwood and the Northern Pulaski county areas of Metropolitan Little Rock.  State Holding Company was formed in June 1984 holding 100% of all outstanding stock of First State Bank of Sherwood.  The holding company acquired a majority interest of Heber Springs State Bank in November 1984.  On January 1, 1988, First State Bank of Sherwood elected to change its name to Eagle Bank & Trust.  This major decision enabled the bank to expand its footprint into the capital city of Little Rock.  Eagle Bank enjoyed steady growth in the expanded market while operating with conservative management principles.

Both Heber Springs State Bank and Eagle Bank & Trust are recognized by independent bank rating companies as well managed, well capitalized and well performing banks.  High quality assets are at the core of both bank’s success.  The State Holding Company Board of Directors studied the two banks, and in early 2011 a decision was made to combine them in order to give its customers expanded service capabilities.  This consolidation also allows the organization to improve its operating efficiencies and better work within the increased regulatory guidelines brought about by the financial meltdown of 2008.  On February 24, 2012 the combined total assets of both Eagle Bank & Trust and Heber Springs State Bank totaled approximately $350 million.  The name Eagle Bank & Trust was retained.  The combined new Eagle Bank has 14 locations in 11 communities located throughout Central and North Central Arkansas.  Eagle Bank continues to operate as an independent and locally owned community bank, serving the financial needs of its customers and communities in the same personal way it has since it first opened its doors on July 1, 1919—almost 100 years ago.